Removing H-4 dependent spouses from the class of aliens eligible for employment authorization (May 2018)

By July 3, 2018 News No Comments

Immigrants holding H1-B visas may legally live and work in the United States for three years. After three years, they may renew their H1-B for another three years. Then H1-B holders may apply for green cards. The spouses of H1-B currently may apply for H-4 work authorization while his or her green card is pending. The Trump Administration has proposed a rule to remove H-4 work authorization. Critics of H-4 authorization cite that it increases job competition and hurts Americans. Supporters note that most H-4 holders are women and the authorization combats increasing gender inequality and wage disparity. A coalition of 130 congressmen from both parties wrote a letter to the Department of Homeland Security to reconsider their proposal.